Google began in January 1996 as a research project by Larry Page and Sergey Brin when they were both PhD students at Stanford University in Stanford, California.
While conventional search engines ranked results by counting how many times the search terms appeared on the page, the two theorized about a better system that analyzed the relationships among websites. They called this new technology PageRank; it determined a website’s relevance by the number of pages, and the importance of those pages that linked back to the original site.
Page and Brin originally nicknamed their new search engine “BackRub”, because the system checked backlinks to estimate the importance of a site. Eventually, they changed the name to Google; the name of the search engine originated from a misspelling of the word “googol”, the number 1 followed by 100 zeros, which was picked to signify that the search engine was intended to provide large quantities of information. Originally, Google ran under Stanford University’s website, with the domains google.stanford.edu and z.stanford.edu.
The domain name for Google was registered on September 15, 1997, and the company was incorporated on September 4, 1998. It was based in the garage of a friend (Susan Wojcicki) in Menlo Park, California. Craig Silverstein, a fellow PhD student at Stanford, was hired as the first employee.
- Bluestein RH & Co. Maintains Position in Pentair PLC. (PNR)
- Euro zone factories ended 2017 with record high growth: PMI
- Rail bosses seek to defend UK train fare rises amid protests at stations
- BP Sees $1.5 Billion Charge for Last Quarter on US Tax Law
- Oil posts strongest year opening since 2014 as Iran unrest pushes up crude
- Most Asia markets close higher on 2018’s first trading day; Hang Seng scales 10-year high
- Not One Person Died In A Commercial Jet Crash Last Year
- US airport immigration computers go down temporarily, agency says
- China’s WeChat Denies Storing User Chats
- Dollar on defensive at start of 2018; Asian currencies shine
- China ordered a fallen billionaire back to the country by New Year’s Eve — but he didn’t show
- Beware of the media inflating the bitcoin bubble
- Flight ‘travels back in time’ due to takeoff delay, time zone quirks
- Bitcoin fever to burn out in ‘spectacular crash,’ David Stockman warned
- First Used Tesla Model 3 Sold, Where’s Elon, & Tesla Model 3 Delivery Pics & Videos
- Minimum wage increases just went into effect for these 18 states
- 12 changes that could shake up the blockchain world in 2018
- Recreational pot sales roll out in California, with celebratory ‘blunts’ and big crowds
- Disney-bound family kicked off Southwest flight after unconfirmed lice accusation
- Johnson & Johnson (JNJ) Stake Decreased by Mcrae Capital Management Inc